St. Ita Parish was founded in Edgewater in 1900. The current French-Gothic church, which opened in 1927, was the capstone of Henry Schlacks’s distinguished career as an ecclesiastical architect. The open tower appears airy and delicate, yet it contains 1,800 tons of Bedford limestone and rises to 120 feet in height. Elaborate Gothic detailing marks the altar, but the medallion windows—containing more than 200,000 pieces of stained glass—are the real highlight of the interior.
Behind the Scenes
Visit Henry Schlack's masterpiece, the grandest church in Edgewater.