The Oriental Institute is a research organization and museum devoted to the study of the ancient Near East. It was founded in 1919 by James Henry Breasted. Today, the institute is part of the University of Chicago. It is an internationally recognized pioneer in the study of the archaeology, philology and history of early Near Eastern civilizations. The building was designed by H. O. Murray of Goodhue Associates. It is embellished inside and out with a flurry of ancient motifs—Phoenician boats, snarling lions from Nimrud, pharaohs in chariots and decorations from Egyptian tombs.