Skip to main content

Unity in Chicago

Chicago Town & Tennis Club

Not an active site.

Address

1925 W. Thome Ave.

Neighborhood

West Ridge

Architect

George W. Maher, 1925

Description

Designed by renowned Chicago architect George W. Maher, a protégé of Frank Lloyd Wright, in 1925, the Unity in Chicago building began life as the Chicago Town & Tennis Club, a Tudor Revival replica of Wimbledon's historic structures. Later, the building served as an Elks Lodge before sitting vacant for a decade prior to the church rescuing and re-purposing it in 1989. The building features pristine architectural details like a slate roof, an elegant entryway, and a vaulted half-timbered former dining hall that is now the sanctuary. There are also extensive gardens landscaped by members.