The Wheeler Mansion
2020 S. Calumet Ave.
Sat, Oct 14: 10am - 5pm
Sun, Oct 15: 10am - 5pm
Otis T. Wheelock, 1870
This is the only surviving historic mansion on Calumet Avenue. The Wheeler Mansion was built in 1870 for Calvin T. Wheeler, a banker and member of the Chicago Board of Trade. It was designed in the Second Empire style, influences of which are seen in the tall third-story mansard roof. Over the years, the mansion has been home to a publishing company, a warehouse for the Murphy Butter and Egg Company and more. The current owner acquired the property in 1997 for $10,000 then spent 18 months renovating and restoring the vacant and crumbling building. Wheeler Mansion reopened in 1999. It is now a boutique hotel with 11 guest rooms and suites. In 1998, it was designated a Chicago Landmark.
The artist wall mural in the cafe by Chicago fine art painter Kandi Jamerson of Orchids True Blue will be featuring her hand painted work. Kandi is also well known for her creatively painted and detailed furniture pieces. The mural paint was sponsored by Annie Sloan Paint from Oxford UK. Kandi's work can be seen on her instagram at Orchidstrueblue. The Wheeler Mansion is honored to share Kandis work as a permanent addition to Chicago's history.
The entire mansion will be open for touring. Volunteer docents will be on hand to answer questions and new to OHC 2023 is a cafe with mural walls painted by Chicago artist Kandi Jamieson.