30 E. Adams St.
Alfred Alschuler, 1925
The Alfred is a 176-unit apartment building in the Loop, just renovated by FLATS. It joins their extensive portfolio of excellent adaptive reuse projects around the city, including The Lawrence House in Uptown and Bush Temple in River North. Named for architect Alfred Alschuler, who also designed Chicago’s London Guarantee & Accident Building (now LondonHouse hotel), the building first opened as offices in 1925. Many original interior details are preserved, such as herringbone wood flooring, Chicago-style windows, ornate elevator doors, and marble walls. The brick and terracotta exterior has been lovingly restored, and the rooftop now sports a stylish lounge opening onto a lush and expansive new outdoor terrace. The renovated lobby preserves remarkable details and includes coffee shop Heritage Outpost.