Saint Volodymyr Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral was organized in 1916 and originally located on Erie St. near Damen Ave. It was the center of the Ukrainian Orthodox community in Chicago for 30 years. In 1937, it was elevated to the status of cathedral for the Midwest, and moved to its present location in 1945. The cathedral is a remodeled German Lutheran church that exhibits the Medieval-Gothic style of ecclesiastical architecture, including pointed arches, ribbed vaults and flying buttresses. The cathedral brings an Eastern-Byzantine interior design into a German-Gothic temple.