St. Scholastica Monastery is home to the Benedictine Sisters of Chicago. The monastery's chapel contains brilliantly painted 1938 murals by Josef Steinhage in the Beuronese style of Germany's Maria Laach Abbey. The murals were refurbished by Joseph Ramirez and Sean Culver in the 1990s. From 1907 to 2013, the adjacent buildings—which now contain a charter school—were operated by the Sisters as St. Scholastica Academy. The monastery grounds, totaling more than 14 acres, contain a grape arbor, gardens and a labyrinth.