St. Peter's was founded in 1887 to serve the rapidly growing Lakeview neighborhood. After architect Henry Ives Cobb's plans proved too expensive, the parish hired one of its own—a young architect with impeccable training—to design a building inspired by 15th-century English Gothic churches. The resulting church has a low limestone facade, bright red doors and a battlemented tower. This solid design is fitting for a congregation with such a long history. The interior is surprisingly intimate for a 700-seat sanctuary. It features open timber construction and ornamental trusses. Though the building has changed with the parish over time, it retains its original Victorian charm.