St. Mary of Perpetual Help Roman Catholic Church
1039 W. 32nd St.
Bridgeport / Back of the Yards
Henry Engelbert, 1903
This church was founded in 1882 to serve the Polish families of Bridgeport. It has a Romanesque exterior of decorative brick with stone corbelling. The interior is Byzantine and resembles a Greek Cross with half domes and arches surrounding a 113-foot-high central dome, recently restored. The dome is made entirely of wood with ornamental copper and is lit by a ring of lantern windows. The lavishly-decorated nave is enriched with Stations of the Cross, statuary and original stained-glass windows by Joseph Artmaier. The nave and sanctuary also feature fine scagliola work, elaborate altars, a suspended pulpit topped by a cupola, and decorative stenciling and murals by John Mallin. The Austin organ was installed in 1928.