Skip to main content

St. Helen Roman Catholic Church

Not an active site.

Address

2315 W. Augusta Blvd.

Neighborhood

Ukrainian Village

Architect

Pirola & Erbach, 1964

Description

This Polish parish was formed in 1913, and in the early 1960s commissioned the present structure, which blends Art Deco, Modernism and tradition – with a Biblical fish motif. The spacious interior and ceiling are decorated to draw all eyes to the altar, which is illuminated by light coming through slits in the walls. The stained glass contains mostly geometric patterns in small fragments of bright, unfiltered colors. A life-sized bronze statue of Pope St. John Paul II greets passersby on Augusta Boulevard.

Archived In

2017