St. Basil Greek Orthodox Church
733 S. Ashland Ave.
Sat, Oct 16: 10am - 4pm
Sun, Oct 17: 11am - 3pm
Alexander Levy, 1910
Visit this completely restored church, designed by Alexander Levy in a Greek Revival style. It opened in 1910 as Anshe Sholom Synagogue, became a Greek Orthodox church in 1927, and struggled to retain its membership over the ensuing decades as urban renewal and highway construction displaced large portions of the community. A fire gravely damaged the church in 1977, from which it took the congregation two decades to rebuild. Yet another fire tore through the church in 2013, but St. Basil rallied quickly to fully renovate the sanctuary and re-plate the dome as a beacon welcoming back members.
Guides will be available to answer questions and point out details of the Church.