South Side Community Art Center
3831 S. Michigan Ave.
L. Gustav Hallberg, 1893
Brendendieck & Lerner, 1941
The South Side Community Art Center (SSCAC) was established during the Great Depression as a venue for exhibiting the work of Chicago’s African American artists, with support from President Roosevelt’s WPA. First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt gave the dedication speech on May 7, 1941, and it is the only WPA-era African American Art Center of its kind to remain continuously open. Virtually every major artist associated with Bronzeville has been involved in the SSCAC over the years. It is embarking on a major restoration and renovation to make room for expanded programming and make the building accessible.