Ross Barney Architects
10 W. Hubbard St.
The entrance at 18 W. Hubbard has a staircase to the 4th floor. The entrance at 10 W. Hubbard has a small staircase (3 steps) to access the elevator which takes visitors to the 4th floor.
Sat, Oct 14: 10am - 5pm
Sun, Oct 15: Closed
Stephen V. Shipman, 1883
Ross Barney Architects, 2002
Founded in 1981 by Carol Ross Barney, FAIA, the 2023 AIA Gold Medal recipient, Ross Barney Architects has received over 200 major awards for a commitment to community, environment, innovation, and to design excellence. Notable projects include the Chicago Riverwalk, McDonalds’ Flagship Restaurants in Chicago and Disney World, CTA Cermak-McCormick Place and Morgan Street Stations, and the new Oklahoma City Federal Building.
The firm is housed in a converted 1883 wool trade building, formerly owned by Harry Weese, a renowned Chicago architect. The building had been home to his practice. Ross Barney located to this space in 2001 and retained much of the existing design features, including the 3-story, sky lit atrium that floods the entire studio with natural light. It has become a laboratory and proving ground for ideas about productive workspace and reflects the collaborative nature of design.
Guests can take a self-guided walk through the studio, with the aid of informational stations. The studio is located on the 4th and 5th floors, accessible by elevator or stairwell. Please be aware that accessing the elevator from the sidewalk requires climbing three steps.