Paul and Jean Harris Home
10856 S. Longwood Dr.
10856 Longwood and 10864 Longwood share a driveway. There is a walking path from the sidewalk to the front steps of the house and along the driveway. Entrance is at the back of the house on the patio.
Sat, Oct 14: 10am - 5pm
Sun, Oct 15: Closed
George Bannister, 1905
The Paul and Jean Harris Home is located in Beverly's Ridge Historic District. Development in the district began in the late 1800s, as the Rock Island Line brought access to downtown Chicago. Real estate atop the ridge was particularly sought after for its views. The district's houses exhibit a variety of popular architectural styles from its period of growth, and the Harris Home is a striking example of Tudor Style. It was built in 1905 for Luther S. Dickey, Jr., a grain merchant, and his wife Becky. In 1912, Paul and Jean Harris purchased the home. They lived here until Paul's passing in 1947.
More recently, the home has also come to be known as the Rotary House in recognition of Paul Harris as founder of Rotary International. Much of Rotary’s current humanitarian efforts stem from his early inspirational vision. Today Rotary International has more than 1.2 million members in 200-plus countries and geographic areas.
All rooms will be open for viewing, including the original basement meeting room of the First Rotary Club. Docents stationed in each room will give guided tours for up to 20 people, lasting 50-60 minutes in total. There will also be music from a local band, The Lucky Shoes Band, from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. Donuts, apple juice, cider, and bottled water will be on sale.