Skip to main content

Old Town School of Folk Music

Not an active site.

Address

4544 and 4545 N. Lincoln Ave.

Neighborhood

Lincoln Square / Ravenswood

Architect

Pierre Blouke, 1931

Building Architect

VOA Associates, 2012

Description

The Old Town School of Folk Music was established in 1957. It has been associated with many well-known musicians over the years. With lessons in folk and world music built around a distinctive classroom technique, the institution now serves nearly 7,000 students in a given week—half of them children. In 1998, the Old Town School opened what is now the West Building on Lincoln Avenue in a repurposed Art-Deco public library. With growing enrollment and ever more prominent performers, a new East Building opened in 2012 to provide purpose-built, acoustically-engineered classrooms. The East Building is LEED-Gold certified and features a small flexible-use performance hall.

Archived In

2015