Northwestern University Ryan Field
This is an archived listing.
1501 Central St.
James Gamble Rogers, 1926
Griskelis & Smith, 1997
Ryan Field started as Dyche Stadium in 1926, named after the university’s then-business manager, who saw a need for better facilities. He arranged a bond issue to construct the James Gamble Rogers-designed concrete arena, which originally seated 37,000. Approximately 400 workers labored through the summer of 1926 to prepare the stadium for the inaugural game that October. Since then, there have been many additions and renovations, resulting in a current capacity of nearly 50,000. A comprehensive remodeling in the 1990s added a new press box, restrooms, concession spaces, a media center, sports medicine and equipment rooms and an indoor practice center.