Muslim Community Center (Rivoli Theater)
4380 N. Elston Ave.
Arthur Howell Knox, 1923
The Muslim Community Center of Chicago was established in 1969. It's one of the oldest and largest Muslim organizations in the Chicago area and it has a diverse membership, democratic leadership and three locations across the city. The building was formerly the 1,300-seat Rivoli Theater. It screened movies for several decades before it was made into a ballroom and banquet hall. The Muslim Community Center moved into the building in the early 1980s and offers prayer services and many other programs. While much of the exterior has been covered over, the arch surrounding the main entry is original, as are many elegant decorative details in the main auditorium where prayer takes place.