Skip to main content

Luther Memorial Church

This is an archived listing.

Address

2500 W. Wilson Ave.

Neighborhood

Lincoln Square / Ravenswood

Architects

E.E. and E.C. Roberts, 1926

Website

lmcchicago.org

Description

Luther Memorial Church began in 1897 as Ravenswood English Lutheran Church, one of the first English-speaking congregations in the area. The congregation purchased four lots at Wilson and Campbell in 1914, which would have been directly facing the river just a few years earlier before it was straightened. Renamed to commemorate the 400th anniversary of the Protestant Reformation, the cornerstone for a new building at the current address was laid in July 1918. A larger building was required less than ten years later, and on January 24, 1926, the cornerstone of the present church building was laid. Designed by the architectural firm of E.E. and E.C. Roberts, a father-son duo best known for their work in Oak Park, the Indiana limestone building is in an English Gothic style. The original building at the Wilson site, referred to as the parish house, was also remodeled at that time, and again in 1955. In 1966, contemporary stained-glass windows by Richard R. Caemmerer Jr. were hand-made and installed by Drehobl, the oldest stained-glass studio operating today in Chicago. Today, Luther Memorial Church is a thriving member of the Evangelical Lutheran Church of America (ELCA) and welcomes all people, regardless of race, culture, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, physical or mental health, or socio-economic circumstances.

Archived In

2019