Kenwood United Church of Christ
4600 S. Greenwood Ave.
Hyde Park / Kenwood
William W. Boyington & Otis L. Wheelock, 1887
Kenwood United Church of Christ came into being in 1885 under the name Kenwood Evangelical Church. A small faithful group of people from various denominations came together to organize The Lakeside Sunday School. They broke ground on their first meeting house on April 9, 1885 at the intersection of Woodlawn and Lake Avenue, near 45th street. Membership increased rapidly, so a large wing was added. The neighborhood was ripe for a church, so on November 17, 1885, the Kenwood Evangelical Church was born with 37 members. The Rev. John P. Hale was called as the first pastor. As the membership continued to increase, it became clear that a larger building would be needed. On November 26, 1887, the cornerstone of the present building was laid, designed in the Romanesque style. It is a Chicago landmark and was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1991.