Joan W. and Irving B. Harris Theater
205 E. Randolph St.
Hammond Beeby Rupert Ainge Architects, 2003
Opened in November 2003 in Millennium Park, this 1,499-seat state-of-the-art theater was the first multi-use performance venue to be built in downtown Chicago since 1929. Today, the Harris Theater features the most diverse offerings of any venue in Chicago, and has earned national recognition as a distinctive model for collaboration, performance, and artistic advancement. It is partially below and shares some facilities with Jay Pritzker Pavilion. Highlights include lobby lighting design inspired by the work of artist Dan Flavin, a Louise Nevelson set piece hanging in the theater's facade, and contemporary art collections displayed in public and private event spaces.