Hyde Park Historical Society
5529 S. Lake Park Ave.
Sat, Oct 19: 10am - 5pm
Sun, Oct 20: 10am - 5pm
The Hyde Park Historical Society is located in a small red brick building that was originally constructed as a depot for a cable car loop of the Illinois Central Railroad in 1893. The loop was created in 1892 in order to transport visitors to the 1893 World's Columbian Exposition nearby in Jackson Park. The cable car line became obsolete only five or six years later and the depot was converted into a small lunch restaurant which served the community for decades. After the restaurant closed, the building was sold in 1977 to the Hyde Park Historical Society, who oversaw the restoration of the interior to its original appearance. The Hyde Park Historical Society works to preserve and interpret the community’s many complex and diverse histories.
See the passenger waiting room, ticket booth and exhibits in this historic cable car waiting room.