Holy Cross Immaculate Heart of Mary Roman Catholic Church
1740 W. 46th St.
Bridgeport / Back of the Yards
Joseph Molitor, 1915
Holy Cross Parish was founded in 1904 as a "national parish" for Lithuanians living in the Back of the Yards area. It moved into the current church in 1915. Then in 1981, the parish merged with Immaculate Heart of Mary Parish to serve the growing presence of Latino families. Today, the parish is largely Latino and uses both church buildings. Beneath the soaring church towers, the inside features paintings, statues and beautiful stained-glass windows. The ornate stations of the cross are by renowned painter Thaddeus von Zukotynski. His work was later restored by Chicago artist Sr. Mary Stanisia. Adolfas Valeska, a Lithuanian artist, created four oil paintings that depict scenes from Lithuanian and American history. The vaulted ceiling is supported by marble columns and is lined with more than 2,000 light bulbs—each within a rosette. The brightly colored stained-glass windows were installed in 1943 and 1944 by the Chicago firm of Arthur Michaudel.