Fourth Presbyterian Church
126 E. Chestnut St.
Gold Coast / Near North Side
Ralph Adams Cram & Howard Van Doren Shaw, 1914
This masterpiece was designed by America’s leading Gothic-Revival architect, Ralph Adams Cram. It is the second-oldest building north of the river on Michigan Avenue (the Water Tower and Pumping Station is the oldest). The Tudor-style parish buildings were designed by Howard Van Doren Shaw. In 2012, the congregation dedicated an 80,000-square-foot addition, the Gratz Center, designed by Gensler. This bold contemporary addition to the Gold Coast is rhomboid in shape and clad in interlocking copper plates tinted a brilliant blue-green. The Gratz Center includes Buchanan Chapel, with a floor that incorporates a labyrinth modeled on the one at Chartres Cathedral in France.