DANK Haus German American Cultural Center
4740 N. Western Ave.
Lincoln Square / Ravenswood
Paul Gerhardt, 1927
The imposing DANK Haus building was originally home to the Three Links Association, a fraternal order. In 1967, DANK (the Deutsch Amerikanischer National Kongress) purchased it to house their museum, art gallery, library and language school. Today, it offers more than 150 public cultural programs each year. It is known by many Chicagoans for its large fifth-floor ballroom and outdoor terrace, but it contains many other hidden spaces.
Architecturally-inspired Art Exhibit
Check out architecturally-inspired art and artifacts on display in the building's Scharpenberg Art Gallery. This year, a special "Architektur" exhibit will feature architecturally-inspired works by five photographers and artists, including photos and blueprints of the 91-year-old DANK Haus building. Display opens at 1pm on Sunday.