Skip to main content

Congress Theater

Not an active site.

Address

2135 N. Milwaukee Ave.

Neighborhood

Logan Square / Avondale

Architect

Fridstein & Company, 1926

Description

Designed by Fridstein & Company, the Congress Theater was built in 1926 for the Lubliner & Trinz movie theater chain. Its ornate interior and exterior combines Classical Revival and Italian Renaissance styles. Prior to its closure in 2013, the theater hosted live music performances and could seat more than 2,500 people for movies. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2017 as part of an ongoing restoration project. In quiet contrast to the Theater’s elaborate historic fabric, Woodhouse Tinucci Architects, an integral partner in the reconception of this mixed-use block, proposes to insert contemporary elements into newly found, underutilized spaces to shift this aging beauty into the 21st century.

Archived In

2017