The Episcopal Church of the Atonement was founded in 1888 and began worship in this distinctive red stone building in 1890. Though the building has been expanded twice--to more than double its original capacity--it has always maintained the English Gothic style from its first architect, Henry Ives Cobb. The sanctuary, both grand and intimate, contains a booming pipe organ. Below the floor lies a columbarium where the remains of parishioners rest. The Parish House was added in 1924, and the sanctuary's stained-glass windows were gradually installed from 1929 to 1946.