Church of the Ascension Episcopal
1133 N. LaSalle Blvd.
Near North Side
Tilton & Wilcox, 1887
Completed in 1887, Church of the Ascension is an impressive example of the Gothic Revival style. Exquisitely carved statues, intricate metal work in the rood screen and stained glass windows crafted by Willet Studios heighten the grandeur of the sanctuary, as does the magnificent 64-rank organ along the back wall. Outside is a beautiful garden open to the public during daylight hours for prayer and reflection. True to its Anglo-Catholic beliefs, Church of the Ascension runs a monthly food pantry, prepares a Thanksgiving Dinner where all are welcome and offers free monthly concerts.
See a demonstration of the 69-Rank Berghaus/Schlicker Pipe Organ at the following times: Saturday 1:30pm-2pm and 3:30pm-4pm Sunday 2:30pm-3pm
Watch the Ascension Choir Rehearsal on Sunday at 10am
On Sunday from 11am-12:30pm, visitors are welcome to worship with parishioners at our weekly Solemn High Mass. OHC visitors may come and go from the back few pews of the church; docents are available to answer questions. Coffee and pastries will follow the service from 12:30pm-1:30pm.