Catholic Charities St. Louise de Marillac Chapel
721 N. LaSalle St.
Gold Coast / Near North Side
Holabird & Roche, 1927
Catholic Charities was founded in Chicago in 1917 as a central charity to ease the burden on individual parishes struggling to meet the needs of the poor in their communities. 1917 was a time of huge upheaval, both globally and locally. The organization grew out of this turbulent time and eventually became one of the region’s largest social service providers and the largest Catholic Charities in the country, serving 1 million people each year. Today, it offers a broad array of social services to anyone in need including shelter, food, childcare, counseling, senior supportive services, adoption, and much more. The charity’s River North headquarters, in what was once the St. Vincent's Infant Asylum, anchors a network of 150 area offices, and includes the beautifully renovated St. Louise de Marillac Chapel.