Carl Street Studios
155 W. Burton Pl.
Edgar Miller, Sol Kogen, Jesus Torres, and Andrew Rebori, 1927-40
This 1877 mansion, on what was then called Carl Street, had fallen into disrepair by the 1920s. It was purchased by entrepreneur Sol Kogen and transformed into a collection of artist studios by Edgar Miller, Jesus Torres, Andrew Rebori, and others, working mostly between 1927 and 1940. These artists created a labyrinth of enchanting and eclectic courtyards, nooks and living/studio spaces adorned with stained glass windows, murals, mosaics, wood carvings, ceramic sculptures and other art installations. Carl Street Studios is the anchor of the landmark West Burton Place Historic District, which is on the National Register of Historic Places and has been designated a Chicago Landmark District.