108 W. Chicago Ave.
Sat, Oct 14: 10am - 5pm
Sun, Oct 15: 10am - 5pm
J.E.O. Pridmore, 1901; Renovation: Hartshorne Plunkard Architecture (HPA) and CEDARst, 2017
Hartshorne Plunkard Architecture (HPA) and CEDARst, 2017
The Bush Temple of Music was built in 1901 as the headquarters and showroom of the Bush and Gerts Piano Company, one of Chicago's leading piano companies. Designed by architect J.E.O. Pridmore, the building is an example of the importance of piano manufacturing and sales during the late 19th and early 20th centuries when Chicago was the leading piano manufacturing center in the world.
The building is a rare large-scale example of French Renaissance Revival style architecture, unusual in Chicago. It was designated a Chicago Landmark on June 27, 2001 and is being considered for listing on the National Register of Historic Places. Cedar Street Cos. bought the vacant structure in 2014 and, along with restoration architects Hartshorne Plunkard Architecture (HPA), embarked on an extensive renovation and conversion to studio- and one-bedroom residential units.
The main lobby and second floor will be open for self-guided tours. Guided tours are required to visit the Rooftop Area and basement. Brochures will be available to provide more information on the building's history.