Skip to main content

Blessed Aloysius Stepinac Croatian Catholic Mission

Not an active site.

Address

6346 N. Ridge Ave.

Neighborhood

West Ridge

Architect

Henry Schlacks, 1906

Description

This church was originally established as St. Henry. It served immigrants from Luxemburg and Germany for several decades before being turned over to the adjacent Angel Guardian Orphanage as a chapel (at which time a new St. Henry was built nearby). Changes to child welfare policy closed the orphanage, so in 1977 the church became home to a Croatian Catholic Mission, which was renamed after Croatian Cardinal Alojzije Stepinac after he was beatified in 1998. The church's light-filled sanctuary includes distinctive marbled red columns and original Zettler stained-glass windows depicting the life story of St. Henry. It also contains portraits and other signs of the Croatian community that now uses it.

Archived In

2015 , 2017 , 2018