American Indian Center of Chicago
1630 W. Wilson Ave.
Lincoln Square / Ravenswood
Allen Webster, 1926
The American Indian Center of Chicago was founded in 1953 as a community and social service center for Chicago’s growing Native community—a multi-tribal group undergoing mass displacement from reservations at the time. AIC has occupied the heavily-muraled former Masonic lodge since 1966, but they may be relocating soon. Over time, the activities of the AIC have evolved alongside the changing needs of the community. The building provides ample space for educational, arts, cultural, athletic and youth programming, as well as powwows, potlucks and other festivities. The ceremonial hall on the top floor is configured as an indoor archery range.