Skip to main content

Woman's Club of Evanston

Not an active site.

Address

1702 Chicago Ave.

Neighborhood

Evanston

Architect

Ernest A. Mayo, 1913

Website

wcofe.org

Description

What appears to be an oversized red-brick Georgian-Revival home is actually the Clubhouse for the Woman's Club of Evanston. The club was founded in 1889 to promote the "physical, social, mental, moral and spiritual development of its members." The building offers elegant spaces for dining, meeting and entertaining—including a ballroom of unexpected size on the second floor with a balcony and high barrel-vaulted ceiling. The building's most remarkable feature is a south-facing two-story sun porch that opens to the dining room below and the ballroom above.