University of Chicago, Quadrangle Club
1155 E. 57th St.
Howard Van Doren Shaw, 1922
The Quadrangle Club was established in 1893 as an independent membership club for faculty at the then-new University of Chicago. The club moved to its current home in 1922 to make room for the construction of Rockefeller Chapel. The building resembles a large English country house with Collegiate Gothic touches. It contains an intimate bar and lounge, a large dining room, a library and other event spaces. The club also maintains some of the only clay tennis courts in Chicago. Over the years, the building's 17 third-floor guest rooms have served as academic-year quarters for many notable academics.