Skip to main content

Lake View Presbyterian Church

Address

716 W. Addison St.

Neighborhood

Lakeview

Hours

Sat, Oct 15: 9am - 5pm

Sun, Oct 16: 1pm - 5pm

Photography Permitted Wheelchair Accessible

Architect

John Wellborn Root, 1888

Description

This congregation was established in 1884 in Lake View Township. They commissioned a distinctive home by architect John Wellborn Root, who was known for his collaboration with Daniel Burnham. The shingle-sided building has triangular motifs and an octagonal tower with a conical roof. It opened in 1888—the year before Chicago annexed the suburb of Lake View and imposed a ban on such wood-framed construction. The sanctuary is simple and open and has evolved over time to meet the needs of the church. An 1898 expansion doubled the capacity of the church. A more recent renovation also restored much of the interior. The exterior, long covered over in white asbestos fireproofing, received an award-winning restoration in 2005. Today, the building is back to Root’s original earth-toned vision.

Behind the Scenes

Admire the beautiful woodwork and the colorful Healy and Millet stained-glass windows that enliven this historic church.