The historic 42-story south tower of the InterContinental complex was completed in 1929. It was originally the Medina Athletic Club, which was commissioned by the Chicago Shriners Club. The building incorporates an audacious assortment of architectural styles: Egyptian, Greek, Mesopotamian and Medieval. Additional Art Deco and Gothic influences are borrowed from the neighboring Tribune Tower. The bulbous golden cupola was intended as a dock for dirigibles and airships, but it was never used. The hotel includes numerous interior spaces of distinction including magnificent ballrooms, exotic elevator lobbies and corridors in varying styles that wouldn't be out of place in an elaborate Epcot Center exhibit.