Zen Buddhist Temple
1710 W. Cornelia Ave.
This former Masonic Temple on a quiet side street has an unusual history. The Freemasons moved out after a few short years and the building has been inhabited by several different houses of worship since—including a Pentecostal church, a Korean gospel church and a seminary. The Buddhist Society for Compassionate Wisdom, founded in 1967, purchased the building to convert it into Zen Buddhist Temple in 1992. Volunteers restored it over the course of two years. The brightly painted building hosts public services, meditation courses, a seminary, a monastery and a training center.