This is an archived listing.
1229 W. Belmont Ave.
Built in 1932 as a post office, with galloping horse insignia still visible on the facade, this building has been a hub of award-winning neighborhood theater since 1988, when the space was renovated as part of a joint effort between Chicago Filmmakers and Lookingglass Theatre to create a multi-disciplinary space. Bailiwick Repertory took over the space in 1993, and produced noteworth LGBTQIA+ programming there until 2007. Theater Wit, a founding member of the Belmont Theater District, took over and renovated the building into its current configuration in 2008, taking care to preserve original architectural elements while creating one of the best theatergoing experiences in Chicago. Theater Wit has received national recognition as a home for developing new work.