The Second City
1616 N. Wells St.
The Second City was founded in 1959, and since then has become an integral part of both Chicago's culture and the world of comedy. It is located in the renovated Piper’s Alley, an ever-evolving hodge-podge of buildings which was once a hub of Chicago's hippie scene. The space is now home to seven stages, a 25,000-sq ft training center, a brand new rooftop deck, and the 1959 Kitchen and Bar. The Mainstage entrance features stone arches with faces originally from the Adler and Sullivan-designed Garrick Theater. Recently, The Second City transformed former AMC movie theaters into a spacious communal area with sweeping views of the neighborhood, aptly named "The Corner" after the intersection of North & Wells that it overlooks. The Second City is celebrating its 60th anniversary this year.