3480 N. Lake Shore Dr.
Coolidge & Hodgson and Loebl, Schlossman & Demuth, 1930
Temple Sholom is one of Chicago's oldest Reform Jewish congregations, founded in 1867. The current synagogue building dates to 1928 and started as a student-led design project at the School of Architecture at Armour Institute (now IIT) before professional architects intervened. Unusually large and grand for a Reform synagogue, Temple Sholom's Byzantine- and Moorish-Revival design draws comparisons to KAM Isaiah Israel, completed just a few years earlier on the South Side. A large, hipped roof dome, arched windows and beautiful stained glass makes this structure one of the most notable architectural highlights along Chicago's lakefront, where it is surrounded by high-rises.