St. Josaphat Roman Catholic Church
2311 N. Southport Ave.
William Brinkmann, 1902
This shining example of a "Polish Cathedral"-style church occupies a prominent place on the streetscape of Lincoln Park’s Southport Corridor. The St. Josaphat Roman Catholic congregation dates to 1883, when ground broke for the first church-school-convent structure. The much larger present-day church was erected in 1902, designed by William Brinkmann, a specialist in church architecture who exhibited at the 1893 World's Columbian Exposition in Chicago. He masterfully incorporated Romanesque influences, evident in the massive twin bell towers. In 2000, the parish completed a major interior renovation, devising a more open and welcoming sanctuary and adding a new altar and baptismal font.
All visitors are invited to mass at 6pm on Saturday; and 8am, 10am and noon on Sunday.