Skip to main content

South Shore Cultural Center

Not an active site.

Address

7059 S. South Shore Dr.

Neighborhood

South Shore

Architect

Marshall and Fox, 1905

Description

This grand Mediterranean-Revival building operated as an exclusive country club for 70 years until it was purchased by the Chicago Park District in 1975. The South Shore Cultural Center's impressive spaces include a solarium, ballroom, theater, library and the Parrot Cage Restaurant. Marble, wood paneling, chandeliers and ornate details seen throughout hearken back to early 20th-century luxury and leisure. The 58-acre grounds also include a golf course, Chicago Police horse stables, nature sanctuary and beach. The South Shore Cultural Center stands today as the result of a five-year preservation battle waged by South Shore residents in the 1970s and 80s.

Archived In

2015