Skip to main content

Shrine of Christ the King

Not an active site.

Address

6415 S. Woodlawn Ave.

Neighborhood

Woodlawn

Architect

Henry J. Schlacks, 1927

Description

The former St. Clara (later St. Gelasius in 1990) Church was the final work of ecclesiastical architect Henry J. Schlacks. Built in 1927, the historic building survived a fire in 1976, avoided demolition in 2003, and endured another devastating fire in 2015. Now owned and operated as a sacred Shrine by the Institute of Christ the King Sovereign Priest, the building has achieved the first major step in a multi-phase restoration project: the construction of a completely new roof system.

Archived In

2015 , 2016 , 2017 , 2018