Second Church of Christ, Scientist, Chicago
2700 N. Pine Grove Ave.
Solon S. Beman, 1899
The second Christian Science church built in Chicago is the oldest that still offers services. Architect Solon S. Beman patterned this Beaux-Arts structure after his Merchant Tailors building from the World’s Columbian Exposition of 1893. It is built of Bedford limestone and granite. The church was dedicated on Easter Sunday 1901 with four services accommodating more than 10,000 attendees. At the time, the church’s most notable neighbor was the original Ferris Wheel, located two blocks away on Clark Street where it had been moved after the Columbian Exposition. The church’s original Hutchings-Votey pipe organ (opus 525) was rebuilt by the Austin Organ Company in 1928 (opus 1646). In 1963, an extensive reconstruction of the interior was undertaken by Donald Billman of Whitehead and Billman.