Skip to main content

Nineteenth Century Club

Address

178 Forest Ave.

Neighborhood

Oak Park

Hours

Sat, Oct 16: 10am - 5pm

Sun, Oct 17: Closed

Photography Permitted Washrooms Available Wheelchair Accessible

Architect

James L. Fyfe, 1928

Description

The historic 1928 clubhouse of one of Oak Park’s most storied institutions lies behind this stately Neoclassical red brick facade with impressive columns. The Nineteenth Century Club was founded in 1891 as a private club for forward-thinking women. It's now open to all, but the mission of social and cultural uplift remains the same. The busy building is one of Oak Park’s premiere venues for educational, cultural and philanthropic events as well as weddings. The elegant first floor parlor and dining rooms provide space for socializing and meeting. On the second floor, luxurious lounges flank the impressive ballroom and auditorium—under whose vaulted ceiling 400 guests can view a performance on a full stage.