104 S. Michigan Ave.
Holabird & Roche, 1912
The geometry of this Michigan Avenue masterpiece is softened by a delicate exterior of granite and terra cotta in a Gothic-Romanesque style. The sloping green Spanish-tile gabled roof harmonizes with the height of the Gothic-inspired University Club, with which the Monroe Building forms a dramatic gateway to the Loop. The lobby’s brilliantly-colored, rhythmic vaulted ceiling comprises one of the world’s largest collections of Rookwood Pottery tile. Rookwood is internationally regarded as among the most important and influential art potteries of the early 20th century. The Monroe Building is also home to the award winning Pritzker Military Museum & Library.