Skip to main content

Glessner House Museum

Not an active site.

Address

1800 S. Prairie Ave.

Neighborhood

South Loop / Prairie Avenue

Architect

Henry Hobson Richardson, 1887

Description

H. H. Richardson's last surviving work in Chicago was commissioned by John and Frances Glessner. This urban residential masterpiece's radical design perplexed neighbors but was quickly embraced by architects for its innovative floor plan. With principal rooms facing inward toward a light-filled private courtyard, it helped create a new American style of residential architecture. An important collection of original furnishings features pieces representing the Aesthetic, Modern Gothic, English and American Arts and Crafts movements. Glessner House was saved from demolition in 1966 thanks to efforts that resulted in the creation of both the Glessner House Museum and the Chicago Architecture Foundation.

View this Building on Architecture.org

Archived In

2016 , 2017