First United Methodist Church of Evanston
Tallmadge & Watson, 1911
This congregation was founded in 1854 by the Methodists who also founded Evanston and Northwestern University. Known now as “First Church," this was the first faith community established in Evanston. First Church’s current structure, built in the French Neo-Gothic style and dedicated in 1911, is the third building in the congregation's history. The sanctuary features many stained-glass windows and an intricate altarpiece of carved wood. The magnificent east-facing Te Deum window was completely restored in 2016. The chapel features standing vertical stone architecture. Its stained-glass windows and carvings depict figures from science and philosophy. In the courtyard is a newly landscaped, cloistered garden with labyrinth.