The current First Congregational Church of Evanston is the third building on the current site. Founded in 1869 by settlers from New England who carried on the faith traditions of the Pilgrims, the original church burned down in 1884 and was quickly replaced. By the early twentieth century, this new building was in disrepair, and in 1927 was replaced with the current structure. The large sanctuary is noted for its peaceful simplicity and clear windows, which allow ample natural light. The Chapel of Remembrance is a handsome wood-paneled space with remarkable stained-glass windows.