Charles Gates Dawes served as Vice President of the United States (1925-1929) and was the recipient of the 1925 Nobel Peace Prize. In 1909, the Dawes family moved into this house, which was originally built for a Northwestern University official. Dawes stipulated in his will that the house become a historical museum. The grand reception hall with wraparound staircase welcomes visitors to the restored interior of this opulent Chateauesque lakefront mansion. It has been the home of the Evanston History Center since 1960, and it was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1976.
Behind the Scenes
Tour the fantastic lakefront mansion of our nation's 30th Vice President with Evanston History Center staff and docents.